Overview of practice
- Colm Ó hOisín SC has been in practice in Dublin at the Irish Bar since 1988 and became a Senior Counsel in 2005. He is also a member of the Bar of England & Wales, the Bar of Northern Ireland, and is an Associate Member of Kings Chambers (Manchester).
- Wide-ranging practice concentrated on commercial and public law litigation and on international arbitration. Has particular experience in the areas of company and shareholder disputes, maritime and fisheries law, banking and financial services law, construction law, competition law, insurance law, environmental law, sports law and international commercial contracts.
- Regularly appointed arbitrator in both international and domestic disputes.
- Experienced mediator.
- Significant proportion of work involves international clients.
- Has conducted numerous cases in the Irish language and currently instructed in the first Irish language Art. 267 preliminary reference to the Court of Justice of the European Union.
- Current Leader of the European Circuit of the Bar.
- Regular appointments as arbitrator in international and domestic disputes (including appointment as chair and as sole arbitrator).
- Currently member of two ad hoc committees under ICSID annulment procedure.
- Designated by Ireland to ICSID Panel of Arbitrators (current term: 22/1/2020 to 22/1/2026).
- Member for Ireland on the ICC International Court of Arbitration (2018 to date); previously Alternate Member (2015-2018).
- Chartered Arbitrator (CIArb).
- President of Arbitration Ireland – the Irish Arbitration Association (2014-2016).
- Chairman of the Bar Council of Ireland’s ADR and Arbitration Committee (2007-2014).
- Member of Host Committee of ICCA Dublin 2008.
Recent arbitral appointments include:
- July 2020, appointed by LCIA as chair of a three-member panel on a maritime-related dispute.
- July 2020, appointed by LCIA as sole arbitrator in a partnership-related dispute.
- May 2020, appointed by ICSID to serve on ad hoc Committee in annulment proceedings in the case of SolEs Badajoz GmbH v. Kingdom of Spain (ICSID Case No. ARB/15/38)
- November 2019, appointed by ICSID to serve on ad hoc Committee in annulment proceedings in the case of Hydro S.r.l. and Others v. Republic of Albania (ICSID Case No. ARB/15/28).
- October 2019, appointed by LCIA as sole arbitrator in two related London-seated arbitrations arising out of a licence agreement.
- March 2019, party appointed arbitrator in London-seated ICC arbitration in Saudi Arabian construction-related dispute.
- May 2017, appointed by ICDR as chair of three-member panel seated in Dublin in a dispute arising out of a teaming agreement in respect of a tender for a government contract.
- May 2016, appointed by LCIA as sole arbitrator on tribunal seated in London in a dispute arising out of an agreement relating to the development and design of a video game.
- December 2015, appointed by DIAC as co-arbitrator in Dubai-seated dispute relating to purchase of property.
- November 2015, appointed by LCIA as sole arbitrator on tribunal seated in London in a dispute arising out of a partnership.
- August 2015, appointed by ICDR as sole arbitrator in Monaco-seated maritime-related dispute.
- August 2015, appointed by LCIA as sole arbitrator on tribunal seated in London in a dispute arising under a distribution agreement.
- July 2015, appointed by LCIA as arbitrator on three-member panel seated in London in a dispute arising out of a joint venture agreement.
- June 2015, appointed by LCIA as sole arbitrator on a tribunal seated in London in a dispute relating to the supply of equipment on a pipe laying contract.
- December 2014, appointed by ICDR as sole arbitrator on a tribunal seated in Monaco in a maritime-related dispute.
- October 2014, appointed by LCIA Court as Chairman of a three-member tribunal seated in London in a franchise-related dispute.
- November 2013, appointed by LCIA Court as arbitrator on a three-member tribunal seated in London in a dispute relating to supply of steel product.
2019 Called to the Bar of Northern Ireland
2013 Called to the Bar of England & Wales (Middle Temple)
2005-present Senior Counsel in practice at The Bar of Ireland
October 2005 Called to the Inner Bar of Ireland
1988-2005 Practice as Junior Counsel at The Bar of Ireland
1987-1988 Assistant Group Legal Adviser – London and Edinburgh Insurance Group, Worthing, England
1987 Called to The Bar of Ireland
Memberships and leadership roles
Leader of the European Circuit of the Bar (September 2019 to date)
President of Arbitration Ireland (November 2014 to December 2016)
Vice Chairman of the Bar Council of Ireland (2014-2015)
Chairman of ADR and Arbitration Committee of the Bar Council (2007-2014)
Member of the LCIA European Users’ Council
Professional Member of International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA)
Titulary member of Comité Maritime International (CMI)
President of the Irish Maritime Law Association (2007-2010)
Education and professional qualifications
2014 Chartered Arbitrator (Chartered Institute of Arbitrators)
2008 CEDR Accredited Mediator
2001 Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
2000 Diploma in Arbitration, University College Dublin
1999 Diploma in International Arbitration, University College Dublin
1987 Barrister-at-Law degree (BL), the Honorable Society of King’s Inns
1985 Bachelor of Civil Law (BCL), University College Dublin
Publications and lectures
Numerous papers and lectures on aspects of arbitration and commercial law, including:
- Is Domestic Arbitration Fit for Purpose? (Construction Bar Association – March 2019)
- Opportunities for Ireland to Increase its Role in International Dispute Settlement (Seminar marking signing of Host Country Agreement between Ireland and PCA – March 2019)
- The Arbitration Melting Pot (European Circuit of the Bar Annual Conference Stockholm – September 2018)
- Is the Bad Press for Investment Arbitration Justified? (Centre for International Legal Studies, Salzburg – June 2016)
- Structuring your Investment to Obtain Investment Protection (Centre for International Legal Studies, Salzburg – May 2014)
- Investor State Arbitration and EU Free Trade Agreements (Arbitration Ireland Conference – November 2013)
- The Interaction of Construction Disputes and the Arbitration Act 2010 (Construction Law Bar Association Seminar – November 2013)
- Enforcement of Environmental Civil Liability before the Irish Courts – Recent Issues and Trends (Irish Centre for European Law Annual Environmental Conference – November 2013)
- The Need for Regulatory Changes Brought to Light by Incidents such as the Costa Concordia (Symposium of CMI and IMLA – October 2013)
- The Enforcement of Arbitration Awards in Ireland (IBA Annual Conference (Dublin) – October 2012)
- Costs in International Arbitration (Centre for International Legal Studies, Salzburg – May 2012)
- International Commercial Arbitration in Dublin (ABA International Section Fall Meeting – October 2011)
- The Scope for Judicial Review of Arbitral Awards under the Arbitration Act 2010 (Bar Council of Ireland Conference – June 2010)
- Section 32: Do we really need additional Grounds to Set Aside? (Conference considering aspects of Arbitration Bill – January 2009)
Co-Author of Chapter on Ireland in Arbitration World – Jurisdictional Comparisons (Third Edition), 2010.