Angela Thomson Grahame QC became an Advocate in Scotland in 1995 and took silk in 2009. She was admitted to the Bar of England and Wales (Middle Temple) in 2019. She is a practising member of Compass Chambers in Edinburgh and retains a door tenancy in 3PB in London. She is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and is an Honorary Lecturer in International Arbitration in the University of Aberdeen and has a practice in domestic and international arbitration.
She undertakes a wide range of civil litigation and arbitration. Recently, her principal areas of practice have been in cases relating to personal injury and clinical negligence, frequently in large value and complex claims. She has a specialism in high profile public inquiries. She was elected Vice Dean of the Scottish Bar in 2016 and remains in that role to date.
Angela has been instructed in cases at all levels, including the sheriff court, Court of Session (Inner & Outer House), Court of Criminal Appeal, High Court of Justiciary, United Kingdom, Judicial Committee of the Privy Council and in Public Inquiries and Arbitral Tribunals (as Arbitrator, as Counsel; and as Tribunal Secretary). These have related to commercial contracts; a commercial lease and Personal Injury). Angela is also a serving Chair of the Police Appeals Tribunal, Scotland.
Angela acquired Fellowship status with the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb) in 2018. She has written and lectured extensively on the subject.
She is qualifying presently as an Accredited Mediator.
Arbitrations as counsel and as arbitrator
- Spanish contract dispute with declaratory and executory orders and compensation. (Second arbitration following on from previous Final Award.) Counsel (2018)
- Commercial lease dispute (Scottish seat) Arbitrator
- Commercial contract dispute (English seat) Arbitrator
- Tribunal Secretary in personal injury arbitration (Maltese seat)
Areas of special interest
- Professional and clinical negligence
- Personal injury claims
- Civil fraud
- Commercial dispute resolution
- Commercial property
- International commercial arbitration
- Conflicts of law and international private law
- Insurance and reinsurance
- Oil pollution compensation claims
- The Faculty of Advocates, Edinburgh, Scotland
- Scottish Arbitration Centre
- Honourable Society of Middle Temple, London
- FCIArb, Fellowship Status, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Panel member of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Arbitration Ireland, Irish Arbitration Association
- The JURIS Roster of International Arbitrators: www.arbitrationlaw.com(US)
- GCC Commercial Arbitration Centre (Bahrain)
- Representative member on ICDAT Arbitration Tribunal
- DIFC-LCIA Arbitration Centre (Dubai) (List)
- Member of the ICC UK
- Hunt ADR
- FICM/MCN (Federation of Integrated Conflict Management/Mediation and Conciliation Network) (India)
- Honorary Lecturer in International Arbitration in the School of Law in the University of Aberdeen