Arbitration, Adjudication, Litigation, Expert Witness
Adrian is a Chartered Arbitrator, Expert Witness, Mediator and Registered Adjudicator since 1994 onwards, in both domestic disputes (UK and Ireland) and international disputes. He has received appointments as arbitrator and adjudicator in many disputes of various levels in construction and civil engineering. This also includes panel membership of the ABTA Scheme.
Many cases lead to published awards, and appointments are both private and panel, under JCT, ICE and International Forms within the Commonwealth jurisdiction. Adrian has published over 200 written awards, at all values and levels.
His experience covers all types of civil engineering and construction works, including medium to large building works, roads, airfield, power generation plants, buildings, minor works etc. He also deals with commercial disputes at arbitration.
In respect of Adrian’s professional training: he is a Chartered Arbitrator, Adjudicator, and a Chartered Surveyor both in quantity surveying and building surveying. He has also represented clients in court hearings as an expert. This relates to final accounts, claims for loss and expense, prolongation, delay and disruption, extension of time defects, dilapidation and construction defect etc. He was involved in setting up the training of adjudications throughout Great Britain for panel selection.
He works as a tutor and lecturer on construction law, and also has an international role in the Caribbean jurisdiction and South Africa.
Queens University Belfast, School of Engineering
University of Ulster, School of Building Environment
CIOB Northern Ireland
CITB Northern Ireland
British Trade Mission 2001 Barbados
Building Industry Federation South Africa
Past Chairman CIOB Disputes Resolution Advisory Panel UK
Founding member to Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Northern Ireland
Past Chairman CIOB Disciplinary Committee
Founder Member of Society Construction Law Northern Ireland
Member of Worshipful Company of Arbitrators (London)
Member of Adjudicator Nominating Body Panels
Member of CIArb/ CEF/RSUA/CIF (Ireland)/BAQs West Indies/Arbitration Panels
Past Chairman Irish Branch CIOB
Author of articles for bimonthly construction magazine, Specify. Author of articles in periodicals by consent, Construction Manager and Institute of Building Control magazine, Tendering Services Ireland.
Has lectured extensively in UK, South Africa, and West Indies.
English, French, access to German translator
Civil Engineering Quantities and Contract Admin, Programming
Construction Contract Admin
A sample of some recent cases he was involved in are noted below (at Adjudication, arbitration and expert witness) in the past:
- Belfast City Airport – civil cngineering airside infrastructure and apron claim (acting for civil engineering contractor). Circa £1m.
- Government of St Lucia – new road and refurbishment of existing – programming aspects and claim (acting for civil engineering contractor). $5m.
- Bridging over River Bann (DOE) – claim on time and change orders (employer). £1m.
- Cross-border Rail Link – civil engineering, expert advice (employer). £20m.
- University of Leeds – extension of time claim, programming and assessment of delay and disruption (acting for employer). £7m.
- Lagan Bridge (DOE) – reconstruction and refurbishment, extension of time claim and loss and expense (contractor). £2m.
- Montserrat – programming preparation re: claim on airfield units. $1m.
- Bahamas – pre-programming expertise for airport works.
- Maldives – dispute over cabling of airport and consequential drawings. €1/2 m.
- Republic of Ireland – earth works claim for subcontractor on motorway €12m.
- Construction NI – dispute in multi story works re: time and valuation €2m.
- DOE – defence re: claim taken against Roads Service regarding bypass £1m.
- Barbados – claim re: hotel works to settlement $4m.
- Barbados – harbour works and improvements.
- South Africa – advisement on sheltered schemes in Johannesburg.
- Dublin – Port Tunnel €230m.
- Northern Ireland – motorway enablement works